Friday, March 30, 2007

QotW9: Are you passionate to share???










I was just having a little chat with my uncle, Anthony, who works as a Warrant Officer. He mentioned on how a portion of his job requires him to recognize within seconds nearly invisible details such as a crescent (for e.g.) on an oncoming aircraft and name the type of aircraft. Just the thought of it made my eyes bulge with surprise as to how he is able to name the planes in a matter of four seconds. However, he mentioned that this was an easy task for him as he already had a keen interest in aircrafts. This was a quality in him that has led him to stand out among his colleagues. My uncle stated that most of his colleagues would research and study hard to remember these names to get the job done. He did not fail to mention that though his colleagues had a passion for this job (warrant officer), their interest levels were low in this area of aircrafts.






WHAT IS CITIZEN JOURNALISM???

As I sat in the comfort of my living room listening to my uncle, I realized that I could easily piece “citizen journalism” and “journalism” into his job description. Confused? Let me explain. In the description above, I see my uncle as the participant in citizen journalism and his colleagues involved in journalism.


Generally journalism allows the communication of an event, issue, people or anything that is of concern in the form of writing. However, in my opinion, citizen journalism is a facet of journalism. It allows ‘the people’, basically the public to address issues and communicate matters that are close to their heart. Subjectivity, comments, feedback and self-interest are some of the characteristics of this form of communication. People can conveniently express their individual observations and interpretations of things that they feel related to. However, I believe that ‘personal interest’ is the key difference between citizen journalism and journalism.

Usually journalists would engage in research and a thorough study on the topics, issues or events they need to write upon (Gillmor, 2004). Even if they do not have an interest in that area, they need to meet their deadlines and produce a top-notch performance. Nevertheless, this does not mean that they are not keen in journalism itself (just like my uncle’s colleagues). On the other hand, participants in citizen journalism only talk about things that they are keen and dedicated about. For example, a person interested in immoral behavior among Singaporeans would not exactly bother to read the section on why ‘vitamin C levels are low in Ribena’. The same principle follows suit for those posting news on the online citizen journalism websites.


STOMP: An example of Citizen Journalism

In my judgment, it is this factor of personal interest that makes websites like STOMP (Straits Times Online Mobile Print) to be successful in luring public participation. Generally people want to be heard and citizen journalism allows this. Singaporeans, who get involved with STOMP, are bonded by similar interests. This makes this forum more interactive. STOMP allows Singaporeans to liberally share incidents that they have captured through pictures and comments. It paves the way for the public to communicate their opinions in a democratic way; in other words “freedom of speech”. In this way STOMP is definitely a form of citizen journalism.


When I was required to do a speech (Social Graciousness in Singapore) last semester, I used STOMP as a source to learn about the perspectives and attitudes of Singaporeans regarding this subject. I was stunned by the multiple pictures and comments written passionately by Singaporeans regarding this matter. Conversely, a local mentioned how he has nothing to say about this situation as it does not bother him and social ungraciousness is necessary to survive in this selfish world. This illustrates the basic idea behind citizen journalism – people write or read about issues that they are passionate about.


Improving STOMP!!!

In my view, STOMP is user friendly. However, if I should mention ways to improve it, then I would suggest that the delivery ways can be altered. I feel that not many people are aware of this service. Honestly, even after using the website, I had no idea it was a made for the public to participate freely. I did not really understand the significance of it. Therefore, I guess its reputation can be further heightened through informing the public in the Strait Times Newspaper or The Channel 5 News. These two medium have a certain level of authority to which the audience would respond to.

Another option can be publishing the information gathered on the website. I feel that this would further encourage the public to fearlessly talk about things that are close to their heart.

Conclusion

I would like to end off by mentioning a little on something I came across while searching on this topic.

I think it is crucial to note that only the ways and means to create public awareness can be improved or changed. However, the fundamental structure of citizen journalism cannot be reconstructed. It is the inherent nature of citizen journalism that encourages a centric characteristic in people. Many complain that this form of communication is too subjective. Nevertheless, how can you change something which has subjectivity as its objective? This may sound like a digression but I felt that I should practice my very own form of citizen journalism.





References


“STOMP (online portal)” (February 14, 2007) From Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, Retrieved 14:42, March 29, 2007, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOMP_%28online_portal%29

Gillmor, D. “We the Media: Grassroots Journalism by the People, for the People” (July, 2004). Retrieved March 29, 2007 from http://download.nowis.com/index.cfm?phile=WeTheMedia.html&tipe=text/html#chap9

"Singapore Seen". (2006). [On-line]. Retrieved March 28. 2007 from the World Wide Web:http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/index.aspx

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Strange introduction and while I could see what you were trying to get at, it didn't really connect well enough. If your uncle wrote a blog or published a newsletter, that would have been more relevant. Word of mouth alone is difficult since journalists publish.

Creative approach, so Creative Award for you. And full grades.